PMAR’s Adoption Policies and Procedures:
1. To adopt a dog or cat from PMAR, start by filling out our online application. If you are unable to access the application, please email us. We will check your references, including employment and landlord, and if you are approved, we will schedule a home visit. If the home visit is positive, you can put down a 50% NONREFUNDABLE deposit to hold your dog or cat. We cannot hold an animal for you until we receive the deposit; please don’t ask. If you are adopting a dog in foster care in another state, you will be notified when the pup is available for pick up. If you cannot pick your new dog up within 3 days, we will charge $5/day for boarding. The balance of the adoption fee is due at the time you receive your pet and sign the adoption contract.
2. We require adopters to be at least 25 years old.
3. You must be pre-approved to adopt from PMAR. Please do not ask us to pull a dog from a shelter for you unless you have an approved application with us. If you think you want to adopt in the near future, get your application in EARLY.
4. We primarily place dogs with people who live in the tri-state area including NH, CT, PA, VT, RI and NJ. If you live out of this area, please email before filling out an application, and we MAY be able to work with you on a case by case basis.
5. As part of the adoption, be prepared to answer lots of questions about your lifestyle, experience with dogs, and housing situation. It may feel invasive, but we have a lifetime commitment to our dogs and cats, and we need to be sure they are going to a home where they will be cared for all their life, so we screen our homes very carefully.
6. These are our adoption fees:
Puppies age 2-3 months $350
Puppies age 4-5 months $300
Puppies age 6-7 months $250
Dogs age 8 months-5 years $200
Senior and special needs dogs $75
Kittens and cats: $60 or 2 kitties for $100 (kittens love company!)